Joomlatools Support Center

Can File Manager be retained in DOCman?

Dear Joomlatools, some customer feedback!

First to emphasise that DOCman is an excellent Joomla extension, totally reliable and meets our day to day needs perfectly.

I have noted though that much of the functionality of the 'File' view in the back end has disappeared. I have seen the article http://help.joomlatools.com/article/265-docman-3-0-to-docman-3-1#replacement-of-the-create-documents-flow and also the question at https://support.joomlatools.com/tickets/topic/7967-create-documents-button-removed?highlight=upload.

I recently had to upload 19 files and create documents and whereas before this would have me 5 minutes at the most, it took me nearly 2 hours! Problem here is that when I tried to upload all the files using the upload button in documents view, the files were all placed in the root directory of DOCman, i.e. joomlatools-files/docman-files which is not where I want them. So, I used the 'New' button and the 'Select existing file' link to create them all. Only problem here is that you can only create 1 new document at a time and that is why it took so long.

As a user, I think removing the file manager from DOCman and the ability to create several documents from that will make things far more complicated. Certainly, in my experience, very often it is required to create documents from already uploaded files. That could be because the files have already been uploaded by FTP or because it is required to create more than 1 document from 1 file (the old file manager also showed how many documents had been created from each file). If you really feel you need to get rid of the file manager, making it possible to create multiple documents at a time using the 'Select existing file', would go some way to correcting this. Also, when using the 'New' button under Documents, it would be good to be able to specify the directory you want to upload to. But it does seem a shame to remove the file manager and its functionality altogether.

Answer

Posted 2 years ago by Arunas Mazeika Staff

Hello David,

We appreciate the feedback.

Regarding the files going to the root folder, this may be corrected. DOCman categories now have a folder field where you specify the target folder where files from new documents will be stored at. Since your was an upgrade, this folder points to the root. Correcting this is very easy, just edit and set the proper folder. Then next time you use the batch uploader, the files will be placed on the rightful location. The same applies if you use the new button

If you want to create documents and categories from uploaded files you may use this new feature that aims to replace the previous workflow.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

There are 2 more comments in this ticket.
Subscribe or login to join the discussion!

David Foster
Answered

System Information

n/a
n/a