Joomlatools Support Center

How do I set up and what do I use for a download repository with 4 different access levels

I am building a portal for general users so they can do the following:

1. Register as a user (Registration is setup to give them the user group and access level named "Applicants" a child of "Registered")
  2. Upload documents (PDF loan applications mostly) that are visible only to themselves and the administrators, but not to other registered users.
  3. Be able to create folders and sub-folders (again, only visible to each user and the administrators)
  4. Return at anotehr time and edit their uploaded documents, adding more PDF, deleting previously uploaded documents, change folders, create new folders, etc. Again, they should only be able to see the files and folders they created and not those of other users in the same group.

===================

In addition, I have 3 other user groups but these should be able to upload and download from a common repository.

We administrators can manage their uploads and change their access level as needed. Some groups only login to view and download certain documents, others will upload their documents but they get processed by us as needed.

======================

I thought that DocMan of FileMan would be able to work this way, but I am completely lost as to how to organize these different user groups. What page to show them and how to prevent those belonging to user group "Applicants" to see each other's documents and folders.

======================

I would greatly appreciate some guidance in this respect. Thank you.

Answer

Posted 2 years ago by Johan Janssens Staff

Hello Donna,

1. For the first use case you are best to use FILEman. The following tutorial explains how to set things up: http://help.joomlatools.com/article/137-setup-an-individual-user-files-area

2. For the second use case you are best to use DOCman.

- You would create a category and give access to the 3 groups + administrator
- Create a DOcman menu item and link it to the category

What the groups can do depends on the permisisons you have set for them, if they don't have create or edit permissions they will only ne able to download. Groups that have create permissions can upload, groups that also have edit permission can edit.

Does that help you?

There are 5 more comments in this ticket.
Subscribe or login to join the discussion!

Donna Rush
Answered

System Information

n/a
n/a