Joomlatools Support Center

Cannot download image files

Hi,

Menu Type: (Default) Hierarchical List
Layout: List

Menu parameter "Force download all files" = No

In this scenario, if I click on an image file link (title link or download button to the right), I am presented the image in another browser tab. There are no controls to download the file. I've fiddled around and I simply cannot find a way to downloaf the file.

I uploaded an "eps" file with no preview and it downloads as soon as I click the title link or the download button to the right.

I'm not sure if this is expected behavior so I thought I'd sibmit a ticket.

I tested in Win/FFx, Win/Chrome and Win/IE11 and the behavior was the same in all of them.

Answer

Posted 2 years ago by Johan Janssens Staff

Hello Alan, what you are experiencing is correct behavior.

The browser decides how to handle the file based on it's own capabilities and installed plugins. If the browser can display the file he will do so, if not he will ask you where you wish to store the file.

If the browser is displaying the file you can always download it by either right clicking and selecting "save image as ..." or in your browser choose file 'save page as ..." this will save the image.

When you turn "Force download all files" on, we are effectively sending the browser a fake mimetype, forcing the browser to request you to save the file as he doesn't know what to do with it. This setting is not recommended because iOS will not save/open a file if it doesn't recognise the mime-type.

I hope that helps to explain the more technical side.

There are 2 more comments in this ticket.
Subscribe or login to join the discussion!

Alan Catterson
Answered

System Information